In honor of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, we will be taking some time to visit any and all resources we can find on her. Her feast day is on a Saturday this year so we are diving all in.
We enjoyed celebrating her feast day last year in our Catholic Family Crate and will continue building on the tradition. We will be setting out our beautiful print of Our Lady of Guadalupe from our Advent materials (pictured above).
Then, I will be assigning the kids to the creative project of making fun and colorful decorations for our fiesta out of whatever we have. And I will be pulling out all the stops for our meal and dessert (including the Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe below!) just because this year, we can.
If your schedule isn’t working out like that, it’s really ok. Maybe you can grab some tacos on the way home from work or in between kids’ activities and just ask the family if they know anything about Our Lady of Guadalupe. Ask for her intercession and save deeper exploration for later. Truly, that’s perfect.
Lord God, thank you for allllll the ways you reach out to us. Thank you for sending Mother Mary to us in the form of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Thank you for the hearts that are converted to You through her intercession. Thank You for the perfect example of maternal love that You give us through Mother Mary. And thank You for all the ways You will move and work in us during this season of preparation for the birth of Our Savior.
Our Lady of Guadalupe, please draw us closer to you that we may come to know your Son more intimately this Advent. Thank you for your prayers. Please keep them up. We need them:).
Prayers for grace and spiritual abundance,
Roxann, Team CFC
PS: Here is our favorite Mexican Hot Chocolate:
(MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE)
serves 5 | Prep Time: 5 min. | Cook Time: 15 min.
- 1 Tablet of Abuelita Mexican Chocolate (these can be found in the Mexican food section of most local grocery stores. They are made by Nestle brand.)
- 4 cups milk (whole fat cow’s milk works best, but other types can work too)
- Chop the tablet into smaller chunks.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan on the stovetop over low heat. Add the chopped tablet and whisk until completely dissolved into the milk. Take your time whisking!
- Let cool a bit before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and cinnamon if you have it on hand.
PPS: Our Lady of Guadalupe is celebrated in the December Crate of our Cycle A rotation, so be on the lookout for collectibles to commemorate this day year after year coming December 2021.